Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bess, I hear you callin'...

I'll buy lunch for the first person that can name the real song from the title!
Had lunch with Cheetah. And a glass of wine. The world is full of surprises.
I have decided that the salad industry is at a standstill. I don't want to see another Wedge, I don't want to see another goat cheese and pecan on mixed greens, no more balsamic vinaigrette, you can have your Greek, your Taco and your plain Dinner. Where are the salad chefs?! Is there such a thing?! Well, we need them!
Then a simple plate of loveliness showed up. Herb Spring mix with walnuts and blueberries and a yummy vinaigrette (raspberry-basil to be exact and it's deliciously subtle). I don't even like blueberries, but the fact that they used them was exciting to me. And the good ol' walnut?! It's the king of nuts! It wasn't even on the lunch menu, but we asked for a dinner-type salad and this was the option - big enough to split. And it just may have restored my faith in salad.
I had the Mushroom Crepes, but compared to Cheetah's Chicken Pot Pie, they were boring. They weren't really - they just weren't... chicken pot pie. How we passed up the Bacon-wrapped Meatloaf, I will never know. What we didn't pass up was the Challah Bread Pudding with Chocolate Ganache. You had Cheetah at Ganache. And I just like saying pudding.
Super cute server, but she was a tad weak at the end (didn't clear bread basket and/or bread plates before dessert... or at all... and I had to ask for a refill on coffee), I still tipped well (which is fodder for a whole post in and of itself). Anyway, not the end of the world.
What will be the end of the world is if no one can name the song in the title.
BESS Bistro on Pecan
500 West 6th Street
Austin, Texas 78701
512.477.BESS (2377)

4 comments:

  1. Of course it's "Beth" by KISS. Sung by Peter Criss originally appearing on the Destroyer album in 1976.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See folks - it pays to read Dot And Cheetah Eat. I'll collect when I see you in Feb.

    P.S. - I always knew having KISS be my musical guilty pleasure would pay off one day. And to think my mother was concerned when I had my walls plastered with KISS posters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus side: Dinner Friday night was wonderful! Pork loin chop with blackberry sauce.
    Minus side: I left my take home box in Dot's car!

    ReplyDelete