Friday, January 15, 2010

In the dark

I will probably not see a movie if it's not at Alamo Drafthouse. I have grown too accustomed to drinking and/or eating during a movie. Which leads to my complaint.
My most recent excursions have all been to the South Lamar location as that is closer to my house, so all these observations are geared toward them, at least for now.
1. They have started keeping the lights so damn low before the movie starts that you have to bring a G.D. flashlight to see the menu. What? Those little wuss-ass lights under the table? To put it bluntly, they suck.
2. They have no idea how to service that many people at once. I don't know if all the start times are too close together or what, but we waited 35 minutes for popcorn. For popcorn!! So unless you get there a whole hour early, you'll be eating in the dark. Have you ever eaten salad in the dark? It ain't easy.
3. The staff that cleans after the movie (and I know they have to) talk so freakin' loud that you can't enjoy the credits and/or outro music if you're into that sort of thing. Which we are. Especially when the movie you just watched was dedicated to a friend of yours that passed away. Hubby is two years away from being that guy that yells at people to shut up. Please follow your own "Don't talk during the movie or we'll take your ass out" rules!
4. As for the food, they had a new burger (The Big (Organic) One) and while it had great flavor, the meat was so overcooked it was dry and chewy. They say it will be cooked medium-well, which I completely disagree with anyway, but it was well done and I don't mean "Well Done!". Hubby's Chicken Tacos didn't come pre-assembled and didn't come until 15 minutes into the movie (see #2) and he said they were bad and he meant bad as in bad not bad as in good.
That sad part is I'm not going to stop going. In general the food is still good, I think they are working on a new staff as they transferred all the good people to The Highball and I still want to drink while I watch a movie. I'm not repeating high school when Miller and I sneaked beer into The Chateau and then accidentally kicked our empties over and had to listen to them roll down to the front of the theater.
So damn you, Drafthouse and your tasty beverages!
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

3 comments:

  1. Ack, we had a not great experience at the Village Alamo Drafthouse. We even ordered a special which you would think they would be prepared for. It involved extremely dry turkey. We didn't have as many staff noise and timing issues. However, I must be getting old because I couldn't even read the menu because the preview music was so loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you're going to the Alamo, part of the reason people go there, besides drinking during a movie, is to see the stuff they show before the movie. Stop talking!!! They also used to have a pretty good veggie burger, and the black bean burger they've got now isn't as good. But....I'm not going to stop going either....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. . . we were sneaking beer(in bottles) in to the dorm one night. "Don't worry. It's late - lobby will be empty. . ." It was the night Tiny Tim got married on the Tonight Show - so everyone was in the lobby watching tv. We "coughed" all the way to the elevator to cover any rattling. . .
    BTW, I knew you drank beer in high school. Used to find the bottle caps in the Toyota!

    ReplyDelete