Saturday, June 19, 2010

Here we go 'round...

I'll make this brief.
Because this was the smallest restaurant I have ever eaten in.
We walked in and almost hit the back wall. There were only 2 tables inside (both full) and the bar. All the rest were outside (uhm... it's hot!). For some (thankful) reason, they asked the couple at the back table to move so our party of four could sit; they did. I offered to buy them a drink or dessert, but they declined. Turns out I may know why.
The little cubby that that table was in was like an echo chamber. It was so loud (thanks Sex & The City look-alikes at the bar!) that you could barely hear yourself think. It was like how you feel on a heavy decongestant, like your head is in a bowl. Very weird.
Food was good. Maybe even really good. But it's heavy on plates (what you see is what you get... I ordered meatballs. I got meatballs. That's it.). The menu is creative though and the wine list is pretty damn good. Happy Hour even includes 20% off bottles! But it's only beer and wine so don't start craving a cocktail.
Dessert was a hit as you can tell. Butterscotch creme brulee. Yum! And Nicole was one of the best servers I have had in a LONG time. And I eat out A LOT!. Please ask for her.
Worth a casual visit. Not set up to be your "go to" place I think, but it's perfect for what it is: a wine bar below a condo in downtown Austin.
Just don't go looking for the dining room. Because you're in it.
Mulberry
360 Nueces Street
Austin, Texas
52.320.0297

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe you were downstairs and didn't call me! I love Mulberry!

    ReplyDelete