Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Buenos Aires? Buenos Dias!

I just ate my words.
I had just told a friend of mine, "Oh... yeah... I really try to not eat red meat unless it's really special... ya know, like a really good steak or a special occasion...". Well, apparently lunch on a Wednesday is now a special occasion.
My book group buddy S.E. gave me several choices for lunch that were written up in Austin Monthly's Food Issue and I gotta tell ya... the lunch menu for Buenos Aires Cafe almost made me speechless. It was hands down my favorite looking menu. The variety and creativity of the sandwiches made my mouth water. Then throw in some empanadas, some salads, plate lunches and housemade desserts... O Dios Mio!, I'm hungry just thinking about it.
We started with a couple of emapanadas, which are made with a sort of puff pastry - interesting choice, very good, and I would get them again. Then we each had salads, they were good, not great, I'd have to try it again though to tell you what I did or didn't like. But hold on to your panqueques (they have those too!), because the Lomito Beef sandwich, voted best sandwich by The Onion, was sublime! How do you say sublime in Spanish?!
Certified Black Angus tenderloin with your choice of chimichurri sauce or Dijon mustard, served on a toasted French baguette ("Marie! The baguettes!" Name that movie!) with cheese or tomatoes (I did the chimichurri and tomatoes). It melted, literally melted, in my mouth. And if that wasn't enough, and by golly don't you think it ought to be?, I had the other half for dinner, cold out of the fridge, while driving (forget I said that) and I think it may have been even better!
I can't wait to go back and try more things. I hope everything else is as good as that dang sandwich.
If it's not, I'll eat my words.
Buenos Aires Cafe
2414 South 1st St.
Austin, Texas 78704
512.441.9000
(another location on East 6th too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment