Thursday, March 18, 2010

Good. Lord.

I may have died and gone to heaven last night.
It was my second visit to Max's Wine Dive and it only confirmed what a crazy good restaurant it is. CRAZY GOOD!
First time I went I had the blue cheese chips (OMG), fried chicken (what the heck have I been eating all these years?!) and New Orleans bread pudding (could not stop eating it!). Zilla had the pot roast (mouth-watering) and shared my appy and dessert, lest you think I ate all that myself. Although I could have. Watch me.
Last night, after a film fest and a Guinness, we needed sustenance and were mere blocks away from Max's. How convenient! We pored over the menu and I tell you what, every. single. thing looked delectable. We settled on: the Yama Kobe beef burger for me (#16 on Texas Monthly's list and way higher on mine), the Fried Egg Sandwich for Wonderhands (good god almighty) and the Drunk Bread for Nay-Nay (simply divine).
In a nutshell:
Burger - perfect beefy goodness, you taste every layer of flavor, nothing overwhelms (except the spicy-ass ketchup for the fries! Wow! Hot!), it was a fantastic, upscale, yet basic, burger.
Sandwich - bacon and eggs on a whole new level; homey and delicious.
Drunk Bread - like a lazy man's fondue - no dipping required! the wine and Gruyere were up front and personal... I loved it.
And I didn't even mention the Tres Fritos we started with - fried green tomatoes, pickles and okra... mmmm... fried okra... mmmm...
I absolutely adore this restaurant and I hope no one reads this and spreads the word so it gets so busy I can't get in anytime I want. In fact, forget everything you just read - "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
Move along you looky-loos, there's nothing to see here!
Max's Wine Dive
207 San Jacinto Avenue
Austin, Texas 78701
512.904.0106

2 comments: