Thursday, May 20, 2010

Going off to Hill's on a Gravy Train

Gravy.
Is there a better word in the English language?
Literally, it means flour and fat blended together to add texture and flavor. Figuratively, it means extra benefits or unexpected gain. It's really a perfect word.
Reminds me of a time in college. (Yes... I actually remember a few things from college.) We were doing a show that called for fried rattle snake meat. So every afternoon, I'd go get a Family Size Tender Meal Deal from Golden Fried Chicken (which we called Goldenmafried. Don't ask me why.). The tenders and potatoes would go on stage, but the vat of gravy stayed in the green room. Where I was. With a spoon. Eating it like soup.
I love gravy.
I also loved the chicken fried steak that little d and I shared at Hill's today. It was one of the best I've ever had - good meat, breading not too heavy, thick gravy. You get your choice of yellow or white gravy. We didn't specify and got yellow. Not sure what makes yellow gravy yellow. (Note to self, Google yellow gravy...) Sides included mashed potatoes (good, not amazing), corn casserole (lots of corn bready stuff, not enough actual corn), tomato pie (is it like quiche? no. is it like pizza? no. is it like an open faced grilled cheese and tomato sandwich? no.) and fries (yummy!). Z had a classic cheese burger (voted one of the best in Austin and I heartily concur) and C had chicken tenders as big as his face. Throw in sweet tea in mason jars and you've got yourself a right nice lunch.
And that makes the rest of the day gravy.
Hill's Cafe
4700 S. Congress Ave.
Austin, Texas
512.851.9300

2 comments:

  1. just hope it isn't like yellow snow.

    I'm just sayin. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hill's is GREAT. One of Scott's favorite joints.

    ReplyDelete