Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Tale of Two (Coastal) Cities

Gaido's marquee
Gulf Shrimp and Deep Sea Scallops Platter
Floyd's marquee
Maybe they will frame my review too!
Crab Bisque
Grilled Stuffed Shrimp
Last week I traveled to Beaumont for work. On my way out of town I stopped at a restaurant called Floyd's because a State Trooper told me to and I'm a good girl. However, this trip reminded me that I that I have another review to write from my Texas City trip. So, let's go back in time...two months ago. Texas City, March 31, 2010. My co-worker and I had just finished driving from Austin to Texas City, checked into our hotel, and were craving seafood (her husband hates seafood so she was really excited). I suggested we drive into Galveston and go to Gaido's. Growing up in Texas, I remember going to the coast on many summer vacations. Whenever we went to Galeveston, we went to Gaido's or one of their sister restaurants (see their website).
If they weren't located on the beach, I would have been slighty embarassed by my shorts and flips flops amongst the white-jacketed waiters and white tablecloths. I had the Gulf Shrimp and Deep Sea Scallops platter and it was delicious. The sauteed mushrooms (can you see it in the pic?) were fantastic. The shrimp and scallops were great too. A good, solid, meal.
Now, let's come back to the current month of May. Last week, Beaumont, Floyd's. I had the CrabBisque and the Grilled Stuffed Shrimp. I LOVED the bisque and it's just fun to say. Bisque. It was not short on the cream or crab at all; lots of big chunks were waiting on the bottom of my cup. I'm not sure why you need to serve rice with such a great cup of bisque, but ok. My shrimp were really good too. It was basically crab cake mixture stuffed into the shrimp and then grilled. The shrimp had some heat and were just a tad too salty by the time I ate the third one.
Did y'all know that Beaumont is humid? Bisque. Bisque. Bisque.
Gaido's
3828 Seawall Blvd
Galveston, TX 77550
1-800-525-0064
Floyd's
2290 I-10 South
Beaumont, TX 77707
409-842-0686

No comments:

Post a Comment