Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Fork and Spoon and Pie

Water with True Lemon anyone?
Sorry these shots of the menu are a bit wonky.
There aren't too many iphones in Texas City.
Chicken salad plate
Chocolate meringue pie
So, last week, my co-worker and I had to travel to Texas City to conduct an all-day training. For lunch that day, the local suggested the Fork & Spoon Coffee Shop, "They have fantastic soups, salads, and sandwiches! Oh, and they have great pie." All I heard was pie.
The eatery, which was within walking distance, was in an older, historical-looking (I sure am using lots of hyphens today) building. We sit down and order drinks; me - ice tea, co-worker - water with lemon. The waitress reaches over and pulls out a packet of True Lemon and slaps it down infront of my co-worker. Pause. Look up at each other. Stiffle laugh. Seriously? There aren't lemons in Texas City? Will produce suppliers not deliver lemons to the Coastal regions of Texas?
Next, after perusing the interesting menu, we order. Me - chicken salad plate, co-worker - tuna salad plate. I'm planning on having pie so, you do the math. When I received my salad I had another one of those moments mentioned above. Pause. Look up at co-worker. Stiffle laugh. Seriously? This is your idea of a fantastic salad Ms. Local Lady? The salad wasn't bad, it was edible. It's just that it's something I would have made in my dorm room in college. Finally, pie. Those who know me, at all, know that I LOVE pie and basically every other baked good (should that be hyphenated?). Their chocolate pie, aka chocolate ice box pie, might have been the best I've ever had. It's definitley in the top three which are now Frisco, Blue Bonnet Cafe, Fork & Spoon Coffee Shop. Anyway, it had great flaky crust, rich, creamy chocolate filling that was not too sweet, and delicious, fluffy, perfectly browned meringue. I would definitely go back...for pie.
Fork & Spoon Coffee Shop
902 6th Street North
Texas City, TX 77590
409-945-9505

1 comment: