Tuesday, September 01, 2009

A Study in Black & White

For the record, I am not a dessert person.
You wouldn't know that based on this picture, but it's what made my maiden voyage to Green Pastures totally worth it.
What about the Brunch Buffet you ask? Isn't that the best part? No. No, it's not. It was massive and pretty, but not extraordinary. Highlights did include the Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Garlic, the Brie, Pecan Butter and Raspberry Jam Toasted Sandwiches, the Sugar Snap Peas and the meat-on-a-stick (can't remember it's fancy name, but who doesn't like meat-on-a-stick?!).
I was lured in by the Milk Punch. I overheard the server tell the table behind us, "We have Milk Punch, which is rum, brandy, Haagen Dazs...", then I passed out for a minute so if there is anything else in it I missed it. All I know is that she raised her eyebrows at me when I asked for a third? fourth? glass. Don't judge me!
My fate was sealed with the powdered sugar dusted confections known as Homemade Marshmallows. Jet-Puffed, you outta be ashamed of yourself for calling whatever those things are you call marshmallows. Those are not marshmallows! THESE are marshmallows. Soft and billowy, not too sweet, not too dense. And yes, I ate every one you see pictured here and took two home. What did I say about judging?!
Green Pastures is a beautiful Victorian home set on an idyllic property replete with peacocks and Live Oaks. Oh, and that lady you see by the backdoor with a milkshake mustache, covered in white powder like Courtney Love on a three day bender? Yeah, nevermind her.
Green Pastures Restaurant
811 W Live Oak
Austin, Texas 78704
512.444.4747

2 comments:

  1. Green Pastures was always a favorite place for sorority functions even back in my day. More than a couple proposals made there too, as I recall. Glad to hear it is still special

    ReplyDelete