Thursday, September 10, 2009

Who says you can't step in the same Dong Nai twice?

I should not be allowed to eat Vietnamese by myself. I don't know what I'm doing.
In fact, I don't even know what I ordered. A noodley soupy thing. With that weird BBQ pork that's bright pink around the edges. It sorta freaks me out. Broth was good though. And the sprouts and green onions were fresh. Oh! and I got all cracked out on the Vietnamese iced coffee you see there. Whoa!
I was about to write this place off, but as I was leaving I noticed that at least one of the customers was a regular (a server came by to say hi), several people were picking up take out, the other tables seemed to be slurping away and I passed a lady that must have ordered what I wanted, but didn't know it. Her noodley soupy thing had lots of stuff in it. Piles and piles of little chopped up things. It looked really good. And later, I found out a friend ate lunch there every day for year. I will have to try it again. I clearly must be missing something.
What I'm not missing though is the guy in the booth next to me wearing train conductor striped short overalls. With no sense of irony. Short overalls and high top Converse. I kid you not.
Dong Nai
4211 South Lamar Blvd.
Austin, Texas 78704
512.444.1593
No website that I can find, but it was reviewed here:
And Dong Nai is the name of a river in the mountains of south central Vietnam. Just in case you didn't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment