Saturday, August 08, 2009

"HI! WELCOME TO ZAX!!!"

My favorite memory of Zax (Pints & Plates) was from a night that as we stepped up onto the porch this poor functionally retarded pre-teen hostess leapt out of the door and greeted us with such a bellowing "HI! WELCOME TO ZAX!" that we staggered in surprise. I now scream it every time I mention the restaurant. Every time.
Cheetah and I met there for a grown-up lunch today and were wildly disappointed that our favorite hostess was not there. It's just not the same without her. And apparently neither is the Shrimp Remoulade Salad for which we specifically went. What's the deal with me and salads lately?!
In my mind's mouth it was heavenly. Creamy, spicy remoulade, perfectly cooked shrimp, crisp greens, ripe tomatoes and avocado, crusty bread. Today's was close, but the tomatoes had been kept too cold as they had no flavor, the shrimp were a little overdone and the remoulade had none of the sass that I remember. The dictionary said it should be "piquant", but it was "pi-can't".
Oh well. The wine was good and cold.
Zax Restaurant & Bar
312 Barton Springs Road
Austin, Texas 78704
512.481.0100

No comments:

Post a Comment