Saturday, August 15, 2009

I'll have the soup.

I know this blog used to be called "girleatsaustin", but I ate in Kyle last night. Sorry.
Cute place in downtown Kyle, if there is such a thing as downtown Kyle. Casual enough for jeans, but could be a special occasion place too. Extensive martini menu. Seafood, steaks and pasta (although there are only two pasta dishes, but whatever). It's called Bordeaux's, but I kept calling it, and even Googled it as, Boudreaux's. I must have Cajun on the brain. Is that a thing? Is it contagious?! Crap, now I'm thinking of that heartbreaking story about the boy with water on the brain in that book we read in junior high called The Scarlet Ibis. Must. Not. Cry...
My dining companions both had steak and said it was very good - I was too full for even a bite - we'd had appetizers (fried fresh mozzarella and stuffed mushrooms) with our drinks. I know Cartman said appetizers are what you eat before you eat to make you more hungry, but he's a liar. Had a very good Stag's Leap Artemis 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon. I was not too full for that.
I had the Parmesan Crusted Prawns - jumbo prawns fried with a Parmesan-panko crust, accompanied by sweet potato fries and served with a fresh citrus-chipotle "remoulade". Shrimp was a little too fried for me - kinda dark - but still good. I wanted a spoon for the "remoulade" - with or without air quotes.
But why I'm here, the reason for even writing about Boudreaux's - BORdeaux's! - is the Butternut Squash Soup - a Bordeaux's original recipe finished with white wine, cream and a hint of cayenne pepper. It was velvety smooth and creamy and spicy and oh! just so ding-dang delicious! The cup was stuck to my face like a muzzle when our server came with our entrees. I will dream about this soup. A really good soup is a thing of beauty.
Even if you have to go to downtown Kyle to get it.
Bordeaux's
108 Center Street
Kyle, Texas 78640
512.268.DINE (3463)

1 comment:

  1. Granted I don't get out much - but is it the new thing to have the expected gratuity posted on the menu? (Just looked at the menu)

    ReplyDelete