Friday, August 14, 2009

You say Wagyu, I say Yum! Wagyu! Yum! Wagyu! Yum!

Let me start by saying that Enoteca is one of my favorite restaurants of all time. Of. All. Time. It's candlelit, the tables are tiny and close together so you're a mass of elbows and hands reaching around wine glasses and antipasti, sometimes getting a little loud, always having a good time. It's very Italian.
We went for a late dinner, didn't have to wait long and got a great server (ask for Amy!). Two of the specials were sold out - that's a good sign, but most of the table stuck to the classics - Spaghetti Aglio Olio (clean plate club!), Spaghetti Carbonara, Rigatoni con Polpette and Pappardelle Bolognese (one noodle left) - all excellent. Most of the pasta is handmade and the sauces are simple and rustic. The portions are large enough to feel generous, but not overwhelming. So go ahead. Eat it all.
I went for the one special that was unlike anything I'd seen there before - Wagyu Beef Burger, Gorgonzola Dolce, Baby Spinach, Jambon Royale & Roasted Trumpet Mushrooms on a Seeded Roll with Garlic Patate Fritte. Say that ten times fast. And say Wagyu with me! Waaaahhhh - goooooo. Now that's just fun. It means "Japanese cow". Literally.
It was massive. Massive! And messy!! The dolce dripped down my arms, oozing out the sides with the jambon. The hand formed patty was crumbly in a good, means it wasn't handled too much, kind of way. And the patty. Good Lord, the patty. Cooked medium (you can do that with good beef; they're massaged and fed beer for crying outloud - they're clean) and melt in your mouth. I had to abandon the dolce/jambon for the patty because they were overwhelming it, but all in all it was a very tasty burger! Ooohhh and those garlic fries.... no kiss goodnight for me!
I forgot to even mention the Carrots & Shallots in Sherry Vinaigrette and the Toasted Almond Polenta Cookies because there was nothing to even take a picture of. I licked the plate. Oh! and the Lemon Panna Cotta! Got to have the Lemon Panna Cotta.
You add a reasonable wine list and you've got yourself a fan-dabby-dozy-tastic evening.
And me curled up on the couch rubbing my belly.
Enoteca
1610 S Congress
Austin, Texas 78704
512.441.7672

No comments:

Post a Comment