Sunday, August 30, 2009

Polak's Sawsage Farm

Come'on. How can you not write about a place called Polak's Sawsage Farm?
I passed this place on my way to and from Corpus Christi for 4 years. I finally stopped on my last trip home before I became redundant. I immediately kicked myself for waiting so long because it was so... charming? Yeah, let's go with charming.
I forced my road trip buddies to stop there on the way to Port A a couple of weeks ago (see "We're 44th!, We're 44th!" Aug '09) and I learned a few things that made me like it more:
1. It used to be a drive-in theater.
2. Their BBQ sauce is mustard based and homemade by an old lady.
3. All their jams, jellies and breads are homemade, presumably by the same old lady.
4. I saw some ladies (may or may not have been old) making big trays of potato salad and cole slaw for catering so I know they are homemade.
5. They have jerky.
We had the following:
Zilla - sliced beef sandwich, it was OK, and a side of beans.
Junior - chicken sandwich, no mayo, and it was, well, a dry chicken sandwich, with fries.
Hubby - chopped beef, mysteriously disguised as a sloppy joe, with fries.
Dotbot - the sawsage sandwich and cole slaw. How can you go to a sawsage farm and not have sawsage I ask you?
I had it the first time I went and I'd get it again, assuming I have another reason to ever pass through Kenedy/Karnes City. The sawsage was decent, the sauce is different, a little pickle and onion on buttery bread... it's way better than fast food. Man, that could be a slogan...
And don't tell my buddies, but mine was the best. Well, actually, I think they know that. I guess one man's charming is another man's eh, not so much.
Polak's Sawsage Farm Restaurant
2835 S Highway 181
Kenedy, Texas 78119
830.583.2113
No website that I can find, but I found this review:

No comments:

Post a Comment